Diff of Vendor Configuration File and X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File

Hi everyone,

i just install ubuntu 18.04.5 and the last version of genieacs according to the guidance shown on https://youtu.be/9nPLRkH7UFI and it works fine with ACS and the device within one subnet.

But when ACS and the device sitting on the different subnet, the file transfer from ACS to device never finish; keep repeating.

also as the subject, what is the different between 3 Vendor Configuration File and X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File ?

• when i upload the X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File, the device will take effect when the command /system reset send.
  • but i upload the 3 Vendor Configuration File, the device will reboot itself and i only see the configuration send via 3 Vendor Configuration File. the configuration from X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File are missing unless /system reset command issued.

please clarify

thank you

Paul

Hello,

I compare the MikroTik TR069 configuration to the stages of a rocket. The configuration that you load with NetInstall or X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File is the “stage 1” configuration. This is the minimal configuration needed for the device to successfully connect to the TR069 server to pull the full blown “stage 2” configuration.

The “3 Vendor Configuration File” is the stage 2 configuration, whereas the X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File is a means of updating the stage 1. The stage 2 configuration is usually pushed as an overwrite file (not a .alter), essentially replacing the stage 1 as the acting config. After this point, the stage 1 configuration only gets reapplied if the user resets the device back to factory defaults with the physical button on the device or the button in the UI.

If the device is already at stage 2, the only reason to update the X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File is if you need to make revisions to the “stage 1” configuration. That way this new file will be reapplied if the user resets their device to factory defaults using the button. For instance, perhaps your TR069 certificate has expired and you deploy a new one. If a user resets their router to factory defaults again after that point, you’ll want to make sure it uses the new TR069 certificate and not the old one, otherwise you can lose management of that device (and would need the customer to send it back to you for reprogramming).

I do my lab again today…

• the file upload for X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File = .rsc
  • the file upload for 3 Vendor Configuration File = .alter

the .rsc contain the minimum configuration when the device get reseted
the .alter contain the additional and or the alteration of existing configuration
and all works as expected. no more reboot after 3 Vendor Configuration File uploaded

next, i will play around with provisions and presets

cheers

Paul

I do things a little differently than Ahsan. I use an .rsc for the 3 Vendor Configuration File to do an overwrite with the full config. I prefer that vs. doing a .alter, I find it a bit easier to manage.

well, as we can see that ahsan put all config contain on X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File into 3 Vendor Configuration File. that why his default route become double, one of them become blue.

also…

• i did not put { and } on the script unless on find command, /system script and netwatch.
  • i did not repeat some lines as genie read all from first to the last lines.

but as far as i know the maximum size of X MIKROTIK Factory Configuration File is 65KB.

cheers

Paul

Right, but I don’t use .alter files when most of the config is changing. I use .alter files to make minor changes to the config - a minimal config going up to a full config is a bit more major of a change, and I think it is harder to work with a .alter in that case because there is so much that is being changed that you could accidentally double up on configuration. In that case I do an overwrite with an .rsc instead of a .alter.

the choosen depend of the taste of each person.
i will put this options on my next MUM presentation (if any)

Paul

I would say that one advantage of doing an overwrite is that you can use the regular Mikrotik Factory Configuration as a starting point. You can execute “/system default-configuration print” to get the actual factory MikroTik config, and generally I take that and add and remove things as necessary rather than building my own from scratch.