Change WAN type from PPPoE to IPoE (Static IP) without adding new WAN Instance

Hi All,

I want to change WAN connection type from PPPoE to IPoE OR IPoE to PPPoE without adding the new WAN instance and deleting the old instance. How can i achieve this?

Thanks

I would describe what you are trying to do as chanign the tire while the car is moving.
It’s hard and risky, but definitely doable depending on the circumstances and cpe model.

I would recommend posting the cpe name, manufacturer and model you are trying to migrate here.

1 Like

I’m going to agree with @Andre_Driemeyer.

Best way to accomplish your goal is push a brand new config to the units that have things in the desired state. I.e., a config file for pppoe, and one for ipoe. Otherwise, unless you have your CPEs dual homed (management and customer internet interfaces) you are highly likely to get the CPE in a bad state that you cannot recover from in the field.

Cpe is tp link archer and realtek chipset onu/ont

I’ve worked with a tplink archer model before (archer c20), it is in fact virtually impossible to create wan instances in them (tplink’s faulty implementation of the protocol).

@akcoder solution is the most feasible.

If I recall correctly in this model you can’t configure witch interface the TR069 protocol operates (I might be wrong).
Hera are 2 possible configs:

• One wan with pppoe and One wan with dhcp for the acs communication (separate vlan that can only access the ACS server)
  • One wan with dhcp for both internet and acs

With those two configurations created you can push them onto the cpes and change the connection type.

I ever changed the PPPoE/DHCP WAN setting with standard TR098 profile on Huawei ONT before. For TP link ONT, I am not sure if it works. Please try it. Please be noted that the WAN interface ID need to be matached with your exist TR098 data model on the CPE. After the PPPoE WAN is correctly created, please disable the WANIPConnection, otherwise you will have two Routed WAN.

declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.",null,{path:1});
declare("InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.
”,null,{path:1});
// Modify the PPPoE WAN parameter. Especially the Password and Name.
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.ConnectionStatus”,null,{value: 1});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.ConnectionTrigger”,null,{value: “AlwaysOn”});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.Reset”,null,{value: false});
//declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.Name”,null,{value: “New_PPPoE_WAN”});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.Username”,null,{value: “username”});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.Password”,null,{value: “password”});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.ConnectionType”,null,{value: “IP_Routed”});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.TransportType”,null,{value: “PPPoE”});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.DNSEnabled”,null,{value: true});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.NATEnabled”,null,{value: true});
declare(“InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.1.WANConnectionDevice.1.WANPPPConnection.1.Enable”,null,{value: true});