Disaster Recovery

Hi

What is the risk of abruptly shutting down the GenieACS server in the event of a power failure?

Corrupting your Mongo database?

Hi akcoder

In the worst case would it be possible to recover a database from scratch even without reinstalling genieacs?
If this were possible, would it imply any possible anomalous operation of the previously connected devices?

I apologize for the delay in replying.

Marco

What we do here is to backup the entire virtual machine (We are an ISP). Over 4k of customers. If you are not using a virtual machine I recommend going that route. Also putting your ACS on a VLAN.

We did had a situation a few months ago when a malware hit our data-center and entire virtual machines were lost. Recovery was not a problem except for the loss of time. Of course our ACS was hit as well. Worst case scenario a few CPE got provisioned twice. Not a real problem.

Also during the past year I have reinstalled genieacs from scratch (to upgrade a new version among other things) and then restored a mongodb backup. Everything worked as expected.

Also, the way I see it, as long as you have a copy of your presets, provisions and extensions you should be able to reinstall from scratch without having to restore mongodb. Sure it will be a pain to have all those CPE to re provisioned again, but it’s a one-time thing.

@rudymartin said everything I would have.

The solution of restoring GenieACS with backup copies of presets, provisions and extensions I would prefer.
I would like to avoid using virtual machines precisely because in case of compromise the risk is high…

Thanks